Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Monument WOD

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – In the morning

Squat Clean 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Front Squat 5, 5, 5, 5

WOD 2 – In the afternoon

3 rounds for time with 100 lb sandbag

80 meter run

40 meter lunge

10 shoulder to overhead

Today was the first morning of my admittedly ambitious 4 day x 6am strength sessions. Day 1 is for Clean & Jerk practice and Front Squatting. Day 2 is for deadlift and overhead press 5/3/1 protocol. Day 3 is rest. Day 4 is Snatch practice and snatch balance. Day 5 is back squat and bench press 5/3/1 protocol. Going to run with this for a few weeks and see how everything holds up. I’m hoping that by limiting the volume on the Olympic days my legs will get enough rest.

For metabolic conditioning and mono structural efforts I’ll float WODs in the afternoons doing them on days when I feel fresher than others. The weekend will almost inevitably include a trail run of some kind until the weather prevents it.

Okay, now that that’s off my chest… on to today’s workload.

I got 245 lb for the last set of squat cleans and it wasn’t hard. Technique felt solid and my pulls were fast. The front squats I finished at 275 lb for the last set of 5. Also not terribly difficult. Really happy about this number feeling good and looking forward to getting more practice in on a movement where I am admittedly weak.

The monument WOD this afternoon was AWESOME. I chose the Historic Folsom Turnabout because it’s the only one of its kind that I’ve ever seen and offered a pretty cool backdrop. I used only a sandbag (100 lb) and used the circular shape of the turnabout to construct the above written workout. It took me just 6:21 to complete but I was quivering afterwards. My ass and hamstrings were completely toasted and my core worked through. Usually I’m great with the overheads, even with shifting sand, but today I felt the bag pulling me all over the place. Great combination of exercises here.

This is just an example and I know there are many of you around the world that will come up with things far cooler and far more exciting. I can’t wait to see them--send em to me at morrison.blair@gmail.com. My link is below.

No comments:

Post a Comment