Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cold Water Swim

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – in the afternoon…

Hand Balancing – 15 minutes practice

Floor Press 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Rope Slams 3 x :30

WOD 2 – in the evening…

80 meter sidestroke

50 sandbag squats (2 x 25#)

30 strict pullups

50 sandbag squats (2 x 25#)

1 minute aggregate time treading water (no hands)

Today was all about the evening workout at Lake Natoma. With the water still hovering around 45 degrees, it was a chore staying in let alone swimming. But with the outside temperature at 90 it felt like a manageable task. Sidestroke was the only option that allowed me to keep my lungs from over-constricting due to the water and it reminded me how big the potential is for panic in those kinds of extremes. If we fail at the margins of our experience, doing a cold water swim from time to time is something I would recommend everyone experience. Whole other ballgame.

The whole workout took me just over 15 minutes to complete, with the pullups soaking up most of that time. I did them on some protective fencing around the bridge pillar so kipping wasn’t possible. Again, something I’m not used to that really kicked my ass. With summer approaching I hope everyone is starting to get out and explore their surroundings a little more. Plenty out there to stay challenged.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, 45 degrees fahrenheit is cold as hell, about the same temperature as in Sweden right now. You should build a sauna! :)

    It´s also good to practice under water swim, but maybe not in those temperatures ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pullups looked beast. Some unconventional pullups like that in the games would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete